Thursday, March 19, 2020

Exploiting directory permissions on macOS · theevilbit blog

Exploiting directory permissions on macOS · theevilbit blog: This research started around summer time in 2019, when everything settled down after my talk in 2019, where I detailed how did I gained root privileges via a benign App Store application, that I developed. That exploit used a symlink to achieve this, so I though I will make a more general approach and see if this type of vulnerability exists in other places as well on macOS systems. As it turns out it does exists, and not just on macOS directly but also on other apps, it appears to be a very fruitful of issue, without too much effort I found 5 exploitable bugs on macOS, 3 in Adobe installers, and also a bypass for OverSight, which is a free security tool.

No comments:

Guidance for Windows Recovery partition (WinRE) patching and why you would need it - Microsoft Community Hub

Guidance for Windows Recovery partition (WinRE) patching and why you would need it - Microsoft Community Hub